Explore the first museum in the world dedicated to the myth.
Atlantis is the most famous mythological city in the world. Hundreds of books, movies, and theories are based on this myth. Everything started with Plato’s reference to a lost ideal city, a city with a great and advanced civilization.
Plato one of the most famous philosophers in the world used the story of Atlantis to instill into his students, by way of example, the highest ethical values that would create an ideal society. There is still a great debate on what served as its inspiration. Many places in the world have claimed the origin of the city but Santorini and the huge explosion of its volcano in the past is the most possible explanation of the myth.
Santorini Island – Aegean Sea
The museum is situated in a brand-new facility of 700 square meters located in the village of Megalohori. With the ease of access and parking and capacity to host 50 persons for a 1-hour experience. Photography & filming is permitted in all areas except for the 9d experience.
- All public areas of the Museum are wheelchair accessible with toilets for individuals with disabilities.
- The publication of the material in print and electronic media is not allowed for commercial use.
- Pets are not allowed inside the Museum.
- Children under 6 years can’t participate in the 9d experience.
- No eating or drinking is allowed in the museum.
Activities inside the museum
- Learn about the Minoan history of Santorini and the myth of Atlantis with the help of innovative technologies.
- Discover all the evidence that connects Plato’s Lost Atlantis myth with the volcano eruption of the island through interactive videos.
- Explore the largest Atlantis diorama in the world and experience its everyday life through virtual windows in time with augmented reality.
- Follow Plato’s Journey that inspired him to write about the ideal city, through an interactive fresco.
- The Greek philosopher Plato comes to life in an animated hologram. Converse with him and ask him about his philosophy and the theory that Santorini could be the origin of the Atlantis myth.
- Re-live, with all your senses, the earthquake, the tsunami and the volcanic eruption that led to the destruction of Atlantis in a 9D experience.
- All the exhibits are in 7 languages except the 9d experience. Greek, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Chinese.